Camp 65 is situated in Altamura’s territory and begun its work in the spring of 1942 as war prisoners’ camp. It had 12000 spots, that is why was defined a maxi camp. Prisoners were from all around: England, Australia, Canada, south Africa, Cyprus, Middle East, New Zeland and more not well known. Today very few structures that used to be part of the camp have remained but a lot of signs of those who have passed still remain such as writings and marks on the now scraped walls. The contrast made by a large view and internal details gives vision of what the camp is today: an abandoned place with a metaphysical atmosphere whose walls still oozing life.
Ilaria Ferrara, Nicla Pisciotta, Maria Luigia Silvano & Mariella Miglionico.